You do not have to install the add-ins in order to use them – you can simply double-click them like you would any other Excel file. However, installing them means that the functionality will always be available within Excel without having to load them separately.
If they are licenced add-ins you will need to follow the Licencing add-in instructions below but you should not have to do this repeatedly – the licence details should be saved in the same directory as the add-ins.
The installation of Microsoft Excel Add-ins is straightforward and shouldn’t require administrator privileges.
- Save the add-in file in a permanent location (not just in “Downloads”)
- Go to the File menu and select “Options”
- In the Options dialog box select “Add-ins”
- At the bottom of the Add-ins dialog there is a small drop down entitled “Manage” – that should read “Excel Add-ins”. Press the “Go” button to bring up the add-in management dialog.
- Press the “Browse” button and navigate to the location where you saved the add-in files.
- Select the XLL file and press “Open”
- Close the Manage Add-ins dialog box by pressing “OK”
If you need to disable an add-in temporarily for any reason, then open the Manage Add-ins dialog as before and then simply in-tick the relevant add-ins in the list. You will be able to re-enable them in future just by ticking the box again.
Licencing the Add-in
Once the add-ins are installed, you will have to licence them with the licence code that you were given when you downloaded the paid version of the add-in. (This is not required for any free add-ins that you have downloaded from the site.)
- Select the relevant add-in menu on the Excel ribbon
- In the last ribbon group (entitled “Product Info”) there is a “Product Licence” button. Press that button once.
- This will bring up the “Licence Details” dialog box which shows the current licence situation.
- Press “Activate” and then enter your licence code into the dialog box that pops up.
- Press “OK” and then you should see that the Licence Details have been updated
- You can now close this box and begin using the add-in